This is the definitive guide for home building in Canada
For those who need to know how to build homes in one of the toughest climates on earth, the Canadian Home Builders’ Association Builders’ Manual is the most authoritative guide you will find for building superior energy-efficient housing. And for the first time, this edition addresses Net Zero Housing – homes that produce as much energy as they consume each year. The new 2020 edition offers over 450 pages of concise information and easy-to-follow illustrations.
The concepts, building science, techniques, materials, and building details discussed in this manual are applicable to all houses, no matter their size, energy performance target, or method of construction.
Whether you’re a student or a seasoned builder, there’s always something new to learn. Here’s a brief overview of what’s in this edition to help you build better:
Preview Table of Contents
- the building science of how houses work – “the house as a system”
- details to consider well before a hole is dug or a hammer lifted
- achieving great indoor air quality
- understanding air, vapour, weather, thermal and moisture barriers
- constructing the major systems: foundation, walls, roof, and mechanicals
- using factory-built housing and/or incorporating prefabricated components
- selecting the best window and door specifications for your project
- options for heating, cooling, ventilation, and hot water systems
- the importance of “right sizing” mechanical systems
- renewable energy and energy production on site
- how home automation can be used effectively
- a look at what the future of building might hold
About the Canadian Home Builders’ Association
Since 1943, the Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA) has been the voice of the residential construction industry in Canada—one of the most vital and enterprising industries in Canada.
Canada is an acknowledged world leader in residential construction, and Canadians are considered among the best-housed people in the world. We are widely recognized for our technological “know-how,” highly regarded for our innovative spirit and well respected for the quality of the homes we build. This manual is the latest step in a long history of CHBA’s active role in supporting training and education for the Canadian homebuilding industry.