Director, Renovations Services
Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA)
“The Voice of Canada’s Residential Construction Industry Since 1943”
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary: Commensurate with Education & Experience
Job Location: National Office - 141 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
CHBA’s national office is seeking a dynamic leader to spearhead its renovation programming for industry members across the country as Program Director, Renovation Services. This affable collaborator will be the staff lead for our Canadian Renovators Council, Adaptiv Home initiative and our national RenoMarkTM program. This strong program manager will also collaborate extensively with CHBA’s management team, including CHBA’s Net Zero Housing team, CHBA’s staff leading professional development and staff leading government relations. Key activities will involve all aspects of program management, including collaborating with provincial and local HBA offices from coast to coast in the delivery of these initiatives. Come join our dynamic team in this exciting position to support our industry in meeting the housing aspirations of Canadians!
ABOUT THE JOB
Acting as the staff lead for CHBA’s Canadian Renovators Council (CRC):
- In collaboration with CHBA staff, and under the advisement of the Council, and in communication with HBAs from coast to coast, advance the work of CHBA to:
- Promote the continued professionalism of home builders and renovators.
- Conceive and advance services provided by CHBA specifically in support of its renovator members.
- Coordinating the activities of the Council by providing staff leadership for the meetings (agenda, meeting summaries, project status updates) and working with the Committee Chair to run meetings.
- Keeping abreast of key issues affecting Canada’s residential renovation industry.
- Providing regular updates (e.g. presentations, seminars, web content, bulletins and magazine articles) to members and HBAs on related activities, opportunities and issues.
- Coordinating information sharing and collaboration among CHBA and its local/provincial HBAs, as well as other organizations, on all relevant aspects of CHBA’s renovation service activities.
- Reporting on the status of all activities related to CHBA’s services for renovator members.
- Liaising with CHBA staff and other CHBA committees and councils on issues regarding home renovation.
- With the CHBA communications team, drafting content for CHBA’s Renovator newsletters, magazine, eCommunications, and other communications vehicles to members, regarding activities of CRC and other CHBA activities related thereto.
- Working with CHBA management and government relations staff to provide policy advice related to the residential renovation sector. As appropriate, liaise with Federal Government officials (e.g. staff at the National Research Council, Natural Resources Canada, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the Canada Revenue Agency, etc.), to inform government policy and programming regarding the renovation sector of Canada’s residential construction industry.
- Collaborating extensively with other CHBA staff on related files.
Acting as the staff lead for CHBA’s national activities for the RenoMark program:
CHBA has a long-term agreement with CHBA’s constituent association in the Great Toronto Area, BILD-GTA, the founder of RenoMark, to lead the national deployment of this important program. Renovators have also been identified as a key membership growth opportunity for the Association, with RenoMark a key vehicle for that. Working with CHBA staff, the CRC and its management committee, HBAs from coast-to-coast, and BILD-GTA, advance RenoMark by:
- Growing (with CHBA’s marketing team) RenoMark’s National Marketing Program.
- In collaboration with local and provincial HBAs, improving the program’s value proposition and increasing membership.
- Executing and maintaining the CHBA RenoMark verification system.
- Evolving RenoMark to bring still more value to consumers and differentiate RenoMark members from non-members.
- Creating (in collaboration with others) education programming for members.
- Updating and streamlining the program’s administrative requirements, systems and data management.
Acting as the staff lead for CHBA’s Adaptiv Home initiatives:
Lead deployment of CHBA’s Adaptiv Home renovation program for aging in place, including the development of a new web presence to support members and Canadians in need of renovation for aging in place services that includes:
- Leading CHBA work related to Adaptiv Home.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, Operations, oversee and promote CHBA’s Adaptiv Home Renovation Course and Manual.
- Working with CHBA management, technical and government relations staff to provide policy advice related to Adaptiv Home activities.
- Developing and maintaining relations with key Adpativ Home providers and stakeholder groups across the country.
- Oversee and track processes for updates to CHBA’s Adaptiv Home Renovation Manual (as well as CHBA’s Renovators’ Manual).
ABOUT YOU, THE CANDIDATE
- Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree in a related field.
- Leading CHBA work related to Adaptiv Home.
- Project/program management experience
- Experience in chairing committee/board-type meetings.
- Experience managing projects.
- Experience developing/delivering training.
- Asset: Association/not-for-profit experience
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- In-depth knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with SharePoint, as well as CRM systems.
- Asset: Knowledge of the residential construction industry.
- Asset: Knowledge of residential construction, particularly renovation.
- Asset: Knowledge of association/not-for-profit management and governance best practices.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders at various levels within different organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong working relationships that encourage cooperation.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, advancing multiple projects and activities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to manage up – and down – seamlessly and appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, chair and execute successful meetings, with required follow up.
- Demonstrated ability to identify sources of, and provide information and guidance on, matters that may be of interest to clients.
- Demonstrated strong writing and presentation skills for a variety of audiences.
- Passionate about finding creative solutions to enhance the residential construction sector.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills, and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines.
- Self-starter who thrives in an environment where he/she can be equally successful working independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and listening skills with a demonstrated ability to develop strong working relationships that encourage cooperation.
- Friendly and helpful with a positive client-service outlook.
- Enthusiastic desire to contribute to the overall success of the CHBA and its members.
Hours of work
The hours of work are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, though some flexibility is available. There may be a requirement to travel within Canada to attend meetings. The incumbent may be asked to work overtime from time to time.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. CHBA is looking to fill this position ASAP and will assess applications as they are received. Accordingly, there is no closing date for this posting. The application process for this posting will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applicants.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.