Canadian Home Builders’ Association (CHBA)
“The Voice of Canada’s Residential Construction Industry Since 1943”
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary: Commensurate with Education & Experience
Job Location: National Office - 141 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to CHBA’s Director of Marketing and Communications, this affable, energetic and very well-organized individual will provide key support to the staff of CHBA national office, that of its constituent local/provincial associations (esp. through support of CHBA’s national Executive Officers’ Council), and the Executive Committee of the CHBA Board of Directors, particularly the national president. This officer will also provide support to CHBA’s communications team, including its National Awards for Housing Excellence program. Self-motivated and self-directed, the ideal candidate will be a dynamic person who is naturally very helpful and enjoys being part of and supporting a high-performance team. A strong client service disposition is key, given the importance of timely, friendly and effective support and communication with HBA staff and leader members of the Association. Association/not-for-profit experience is a definite asset. Sound exciting to you? Then come join our dynamic team in this exciting position (with lots of growth opportunity) to support our industry in meeting the housing aspirations of Canadians!
ABOUT THE JOB
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Association Services Officer is responsible for:
Supporting the effective and efficient operations of the Association through:
- Support to the CEO in operations of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors (drafting agendas, setting up online video calls, posting meeting documents, securing necessary documents from staff)
- Support to the CEO in operations of the Board of Directors and Annual Meeting of Members (drafting agendas, setting up Boardroom, posting meeting documents, securing necessary documents from staff and provincial Executive Officers, ordering items (e.g. plaques))
- Coordinating travel of the National President (and other Executive Committee members from time to time) as they travel to HBA events from coast to coast, including extensive collaboration and communication with their Executive Officers of HBAs
- Support CHBA event planning and execution, in collaboration with CHBA staff leadership and the CHBA events planner, including but not limited to the following annual events:
- CHBA’s national annual conference (e.g. attending and working the registration desk) – in Saint John, NB, for 2022
- CHBA’s Ottawa Fall Committee/Council/Board meetings (including attending)
- CHBA’s involvement with the U.S. International Builders’ Show
- CHBA’s Day on Parliament Hill
- CHBA’s Executive Officers’ Council Professional Development Forum (held in different locations across Canada)
- CHBA’s bi-annual Executive Committee Strategic Planning Retreat (at the CHBA offices in Ottawa)
- CHBA’s National Awards for Housing Excellence
- Support general office operations (e.g. Staff meetings, overseeing office maintenance and cleaning by building management)
- Office Management duties:
- Front desk reception, call/inquiry support, office supply management
- Includes working with CEO to organize CHBA’s internal social events (staff birthday cakes, staff Christmas party)
Supporting the CEO and Executive Officers’ Council (EOC) staff lead in administering all activities related to the EOC (which is comprised of the Executive Officers from all of the HBAs across Canada, and their key staff)
- Supporting the coordination of the activities of the Executive Officer’s Council and the Council’s Management Committee by working with the CEO, EOC staff lead, and the Council Chair to advance key agenda items and the strategic plan;
- Supporting activities for the EOC Annual Meeting of Members (held at CHBA’s annual conference);
- Working with CHBA’s events team, CEO, and EOC staff lead, supporting the planning, coordination and execution of the annual 3-day Professional Development Forum (held each year in a different city across Canada) that brings together EOs from across the country for professional development, sharing best practices, networking and collaborating on common challenges.
Supporting the Director of Communications and Marketing with major special projects and light communications administrative support.
- Supporting the National Awards for Housing Excellence, including entry form preparation, entry platform set-up and testing, inbox monitoring, entry and eligibility verification, trophy orders, and more.
- Supporting the Association Leadership Awards, including entry monitoring, coordinating judging, and more.
- Supporting the CHBA Home Buyer Preference Survey, including coordinating with stakeholders and communicating with participants.
- Pulling reports and light trouble-shooting duties with CHBA’s bulk emailing platform.
ABOUT YOU, THE CANDIDATE
Education and Experience:
Post-Secondary Diploma in office administration or a related field, and recent work experience in an administrative role;
- or -
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Asset: Association or not-for-profit experience
- Knowledge of office and event administration duties.
- Asset: Knowledge of association/not-for-profit management and governance best practices.
- Ability to organize a daily workload of priorities and be detail oriented.
- Ability to work without supervision as a self-starter who is highly motivated to achieve success
- Demonstrated skills in juggling multiple work priorities for a multidisciplinary group of people.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a very positive client-services attitude.
- Confident in communicating information and ideas in a professional and friendly manner.
- Confident to handle inquiries where the answer is not known, but you will find out and follow up.
- A high level of organizational skills to keep track of the various moving parts of a very broad set of diversified activities.
- In-depth competency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to adhere to confidentiality guidelines and demonstrate discretion.
- Ability to use a professional level of verbal and communication skills.
- Comfortable using a variety of business technologies (e.g. projectors, web cameras, etc.)
- Asset: ability to communicate effectively in French
- Confident in communicating ideas in a professional and friendly manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong desire to continually improve and grow
- Enthusiastic desire to contribute to the overall success of CHBA.
- Self-starter who thrives in an environment where he/she can be equally successful working independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
How we deliver our services
CHBA is the national level of one association working at three levels – nationally, provincially and locally. Our members join a Local Home Builders’ Association (HBA), and in so doing also become members of the provincial and national levels of the Association. There are over 60 constituents (local and provincial) HBAs in the Association.
Our membership is made up of over 9,000 leading companies from coast to coast – including home builders, renovators, land developers, trade contractors, product and material manufacturers, building product suppliers, lending institutions, insurance providers, and service professionals. Our industry currently represents over $150B of economic activity and over 1.2 million on- and off-site jobs.
The members engaged with the National Association are leaders in the industry and within the local and provincial levels of the Association – they are successful business people who volunteer their time for years to give back to the industry and support its overall success.
Each level of the Association works to support the members and works with the government at its level (federal, provincial or municipal) to advance the interests of the industry and Canadians with respect to housing. The three levels of the Association collaborate to ensure a consistent approach towards real solutions that will benefit members and consumers alike.
CHBA is a federal not-for-profit organization governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership, supported by our professional staff.
At the national level, our system of Committees and Councils brings together industry experts from across the country to share information and ideas, collaborate on common issues, and to formulate recommendations to governments to improve the quality, affordability and choice of homes for Canadians.
The national office staff is a high-performance team of cross-disciplinary professionals working in a dynamic and welcoming work environment. There is a great deal of comradery in our day-to-day dealings with each other, our constituent associations, our Board leadership and its Executive Committee, and our members. We juggle a variety of work activities that allow us to take on new challenges and develop new skills and make use of the multi-disciplinary team we have on staff. We value a positive and collaborative work environment above all, striving for continuous improvement, and at all times treat each other with respect.
- We are naturally entrepreneurial and innovative and enjoy collaborating on new ways of approaching a task or challenge.
- We work both autonomously and together in teams, knowing that we each bring our own expert contribution to the organization.
- We are not shy about asking for help and we celebrate each other’s strengths.
We are constantly and solely focused on delivering the best services and support to our membership, in the most efficient and effective manner possible, always bearing in mind that per our strategic plan: “CHBA exists to serve the interests of our industry and to help our members succeed and prosper as they strive to fulfill the housing aspirations of Canadians.”
Located on Laurier Avenue just beside the Lord Elgin Hotel on Elgin Street, CHBA’s offices are a stone’s throw from Parliament Hill and key government agencies, where CHBA staff have meetings on a regular basis. The newly completed space offers our staff a wonderful work environment, with new office furniture, high-tech boardrooms, a spacious kitchen, casual meeting and group workspaces, a dedicated video room and more. Connected to the Marriott and Metcalfe hotels next door, there is easy access to various amenities, including CHBA discounted rates for membership at the hotels’ fitness centre, pool, sauna and whirlpool facilities (which all CHBA staff make use of). Parking for vehicles and dedicated secure storage for bikes is available, and the location offers easy access to public transit and outdoor activity areas along the canal. Close to many restaurants and stores, the location provides quick access to Sparks Street, Elgin Street, the Rideau Centre and the Byward Market.
Pandemic Considerations: CHBA National staff have been working from home since March 2020, with plans to return to a hybrid model of working from the office and from home when it is safe to do so.
Hours of work
The hours of work are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, though some flexibility is available. There may be a requirement to travel within Canada to attend meetings. The incumbent may be asked to work overtime from time to time.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. CHBA is looking to fill this position ASAP and will assess applications as they are received. Accordingly, there is no closing date for this posting. The application process for this posting will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applicants.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.