What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, other than an individual’s business title or business contact information. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone directory listing, is also not considered to be personal information.
1) Personally identifying information
CHBA only collects personally identifying information about members, volunteers, event participants and campaign participants for public education and advocacy purposes, program and service delivery, as well as to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you.
The information CHBA collects is the minimum amount we need to establish and maintain a service, volunteer, participant, member or program relationship with you. This includes but is not limited to:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- financial information, where applicable, such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your purchase); for online financial transactions such as event registrations, we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date) via a secure, 128-bit encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session. SSL is the proven standard for secure web transactions.
If your personal information will be used or disclosed for any additional purposes that are not outlined in this policy, CHBA will advise you of these new purposes before such use or disclosure.
2) Website practices
Our websites may automatically record some general information about your visit using Google Analytics which we use for statistical analysis to help make sure our sites are more useful to visitors. This information does not allow us to identify you individually. This information might include the:
- Internet domain for your Internet service provider, such as “company.com” or “service.ca” and the IP address of the computer accessing the website, such as “ppp-55”;
- Type of browser you are using;
- Type of operating system you are using such as Windows or Macintosh;
- Date and time of the visit to our site, the pages of our site that were visited, and the address of the previous website you were visiting if you linked to us from another website
- Age category, gender, and affinity interests as determined by Google Analytics Demographic and Interest reports
Data collected for Web analytics purposes goes outside of Canada to Google servers and may be processed in any country where Google operates servers. Data may be subject to the governing legislation of that country. For further information about Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Analytics terms of service.
We also use "cookies" that identify you as a return visitor and which can help us tailor information to suit your individual preferences. A cookie is a piece of data that a website can send to your browser, which may then store the cookie on your hard drive. The goal is to save you time and provide you with a more meaningful visit and to measure website activity. Cookies do not contain any personally identifying information. Many browsers, however, allow you to disable cookie collection if you wish, or inform you when a cookie is being stored on your hard drive.
We protect the security of your transactions on our website by using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) web server certificates that offer secure communications by encrypting all data going to and from CHBA websites.
This policy discloses the privacy practices for our websites. CHBA provides links to other websites which CHBA believes may be of interest to you. As CHBA has no control over the content of any of these websites, these links may be updated or deleted as CHBA deems appropriate.
Please be aware that CHBA is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites that we link to. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
Third-Party Social Media
CHBA’s use of social media serves as an extension of its presence on the internet. Social media account(s) are public and are not hosted on CHBA servers. Users who choose to interact with CHBA via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications used to access them.
How does CHBA use your personal information?
As explained above, CHBA uses your personal information to respond to your requests for services and information, to keep you informed about Association activities.
CHBA makes every attempt to use anonymous or aggregate information whenever possible. We may also use information that doesn’t personally identify you in the following ways:
- to assist in the development of new programs, events, and services
- for internal research purposes
- to develop advertising based on visitor preferences
When does CHBA disclose your personal information?
CHBA shares your personal information only with employees and/or volunteers who require such information to establish, manage and maintain our relationship with you. We may also disclose your personal information to third party service providers whom we engage to deliver a service, support our activities, or answer your inquiry. These third party providers only have access to personal information that is needed to perform their services and may not use it for any other purpose. They are bound by agreements that obligate them to protect your personal information. Note that in working with our service providers, your personal information may be accessible in, or transferred to, a foreign jurisdiction. Such information may be provided to law enforcement or national security authorities of that jurisdiction in order to comply with foreign laws.
There are circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include:
- where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
- where CHBA believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- where the information is public
Accuracy of information
CHBA aims to ensure that any personal information provided is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which the information is used.
Safeguarding your personal information
CHBA takes reasonable measures to ensure that personal information is kept safe from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, copying, disclosure or modification. Safeguards include physical, organizational and technical measures, including but not limited to:
- After-hours security card access to premises
- Restriction of access to files on a “need to know” basis;
- Confidentiality undertakings by all employees;
- Locking up personal information and never leaving it unattended and in plain view;
- Firewalls, anti-virus, strong passwords and software solutions for technical security; and
- Regular reviews of privacy compliance initiatives.
CHBA trains all staff on privacy best practices and ensures that employees are aware of the importance of safeguarding any personal information that they are privy to.
Retention of personal information
CHBA keeps personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the program, service or event and the nature of the information. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required for CHBA purposes, the information is either physically destroyed or deleted.
Inquiries and requests for access
Canadian Home Builders’ Association
150 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 500
Ottawa, ON K1P 5J4