Net Zero Energy Housing Council
CHBA’s Net Zero Energy Housing Council (NZC) supports innovation in our industry with the goal of creating a market advantage for CHBA builder and renovator members pursuing Net Zero Energy performance. The Council's work will help to meet the housing aspirations of Canadians, and renew Canadian leadership in high performance housing.
YEAR IN REVIEW
November 2015. With our fiscal yearend concluding on October 31 and three Council meetings under our belt, we felt it was an ideal time to reflect on the progress we’ve made this year, and to build excitement as we look forward to next year.
We also wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank the Founding Members of the Net Zero Energy Housing Council. Their participation and collaboration demonstrates a true mark of leadership, and guides the CHBA’s efforts in high-performance housing and the advancement of Net Zero Energy homes in Canada.
We’re very proud of what we’ve been able to achieve collectively already - and it couldn’t’ve been done without them. The group of stakeholders that comprise the Council bring a diversity of key perspectives to the table. We look forward to working with them again as we embark upon the second year of this term!
Find the highlights from our first year and plans for next year here.
In alignment with the CHBA Strategic Priority to Advance Innovation, the mandate of this self-funding ad-hoc Council is to deliver services that will support members’ voluntary adoption of Net Zero Energy (NZE) housing.
The NZC will:
- gather intelligence on member and consumer needs to inform priorities and influence strategic advancements,
- build awareness and knowledge through the consolidation and sharing of information utilizing a variety of channels and forums, and
- implement activities to identify barriers, find solutions, transfer knowledge, inform policy, accelerate action and increase efficiencies.
On December 9, 2014 the CHBA Board Executive Committee approved the Founding Members of the Association’s Net Zero Energy Housing Council. Members were selected for their demonstrated competence and experience in NZE or R-2000 Housing as well as their knowledge or capability in specialized areas important to the advancement of NZE Housing. The CHBA is proud to recognize the Founding Members of the Net Zero Energy Housing Council: see Media Release. Thank you to all those who applied.
|Management Committee Members||Builder/Renovator Members|
|Avalon Master Builder||Brookfield Residential|
|Building Knowledge Canada||Corvinelli Homes Ltd.|
|Coleman-Dias³ Construction Inc.||Doug Tarry Homes|
|Denim Homes Inc.||Effect Home Builders Ltd.|
|Habitat Studio||Naikoon Contracting Ltd.|
|Insightful Healthy Homes Inc.||North Ridge Development|
|Landmark Group of Builders||Penner Projects|
|Minto Group||Reid's Heritage Homes|
|RDC Fine Homes Inc.||Sean|
|Wrighthaven Homes Ltd.||Sloot Construction Ltd.|
|Sonbuilt Custom Homes Ltd.|
|Sponsor Members||Steve Snider Construction Inc.|
|Owens Corning Canada|
|All Weather Windows||Academia Members|
|Dettson Industries||Nova Scotia Community College|
|Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing||SAIT Polytechnic GBT Access Centre|
|Enbridge Gas Distribution||University of Guelph|
|JELD-WEN of Canada|
|BASF Canada||NRCan CanmetENERGY|
|BC Hydro||NRCan OEE|
|Canadian Wood Council||CHBA Board/Executive Committee|
|Canadian Manufactured Housing Institute||CHBA Manufacturers’ Council|
|Cosella-Dorken||CHBA Technical Research Committee|
|EnerQuality||CHBA Canadian Renovators’ Council|
|Icynene Inc.||CHBA Professional Development Committee|
|Lafarge Eastern Canada||CHBA National Marketing Committee|
|Panasonic Eco Solutions Canada
|s2e Technologies Inc.|
|Union Gas Limited|
|VELUX Canada Inc.|
Please see our meeting dates below. Council members will receive official notice of meeting registration deadlines directly via email. Otherwise, please subscribe to the Net Zero News to receive announcements and updates.
2016 (Term 1, Year 2)
- Mar 9, 2016 in Ottawa - Meeting Summary & Slide Deck (Shelton Group video & Policy Slide Deck)
- May 3, 2016 in Kelowna - Meeting Summary & Slide Deck (Shelton Group Slide Deck)
- NEXT MEETING: Oct 26, 2016 from 1:30-5:00 in Ottawa
2015 (Term 1, Year 1)
- Mar 4, 2015 in Halifax - Meeting Summary
- May 13, 2015 in Ottawa - Meeting Summary & Slide Deck
- Oct 28, 2015 in Ottawa - Meeting Summary & Slide Deck
- Oct 22, 2014 in Ottawa - Information Session Summary
- Nov 12, 2014 Online Information Webinar Slide Deck & Webinar Recording
NZx: NET ZERO NETWORKING & EXCHANGE
This casual event offers NZE peer networking and an exchange of information, including LESSONS LEARNED, on areas such as sales & marketing, financing, as well as technical aspects of how to get to NZE. Each session will feature presentations by builders on their NZE projects with Q&A/discussion after each presentation. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
- Oct 26, 2016 from 5:00-6:30 in Ottawa (immediately following the NZC meeting)
- Mar 9, 2016
- Oct 28, 2015
- May 13, 2015
WEBINAR: INTRODUCTION TO THE CHBA NZE LABELLING PROGRAM PILOT
This webinar provided an introduction to the Canadian Home Builders' Association (CHBA) NZE Labelling Program Pilot. The following topics were covered:
- Becoming a CHBA NZE Qualified Builder/Renovator
- The technical requirements for a CHBA NZE Qualified Home
- How to find a CHBA NZE Qualified Service Organization
- Who can be a NZE Qualified Energy Advisor and Trainer
- After the Pilot; version 1 of the NZE Labelling Program
Andy Oding, Chair of the CHBA Net Zero Energy Housing Council, and Sonja Winkelmann, Director of Net Zero Energy Housing at the CHBA co-presented this informative webinar on November 24th, 2015.
WEBINAR SERIES: LEEP PV
During the Spring/Summer of 2015, thirteen (13) leading Lower Mainland BC builders participated in Natural Resources Canada’s Local Energy Efficiency Partnership (LEEP) initiative. It was brought to the region through the support of the BC Homeowner Protection Office, BC Hydro, Fortis BC, the City of Vancouver, and the City of New Westminster.
Builders use LEEP to reduce their time and risk in finding and trying innovations that could help them build higher performance homes better, faster and more affordably, reduce technical barriers, and improve supply chains.
During the LEEP workshops in BC’s Lower Mainland, builders requested 3 presentations on Photovoltaic (PV) systems. They wanted each presentation to take a different perspective, these being:
- What is current best practice?
- What can be done with roof integrated systems?
- What can be learned from the use of PV with production builders?
CHBA’s Net Zero Energy Housing Council was pleased to host these 3 webinars as part of our NZE webinar series:
Jan 26 @ 1:30 ET - Ben Giudici, Riverside Energy Systems
Ben is an electrical engineer and director with Riverside Energy Systems in Kamloops BC, former faculty at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, and well versed in the design and application of PV systems in British Columbia. Riverside Energy Systems has designed and installed numerous residential and commercial PV systems in BC and abroad, including the CMHC EQuilibrium Green Dream Home in Kamloops.
Ben’s presentation focused on grid connected PV system basics, assessing shading and designing for shade tolerance, and metering and monitoring systems. It also included a full system design and costing exercise based on the locally selected archetype home for the BC Lower Mainland LEEP initiative.
Feb 2 @ 1:30 ET - Matthew Schiedel, Building Knowledge Canada Inc.
Matthew is Building Knowledge Canada’s net zero energy expert. He's the lead on several Net Zero projects for Building Knowledge, including regional consultant for Reid’s Heritage Homes’ five ecoEII community net zero homes, two R-2000 Net Zero Energy home pilot projects and five additional CHBA NZE or NZE Ready pilot projects. This has exposed Matt to the wide variety of solar photovoltaic technologies on the market today and the struggles faced by builders during specifying, installing, connecting and operating solar arrays.
This presentation focused on the next generation of roof integrated PV products that are coming onto the market. It focused on PV shingle products, PV roof shingle/panel products, as well as their system design and installation. It included two case studies with associated costing and energy impact for two roof integrated product currently available in the market.
Feb 9 @ 1:30 ET - Kyle Kasawski, SOLARMAX Power Inc.
Kyle is the Managing Director of SOLARMAX Power, PV supplier for the Landmark Group from Alberta.
Kyle’s presentation focused on how conventional PV can be integrated into the home to provide a more integrated look for roofing surfaces, and provided insight into how builders can market and promote PV to potential customers. Kyle also presented a full system costing for the tract home application, based on the locally selected archetype home for the BC Lower Mainland LEEP initiative.
WEBINAR: F280-12 Standard; Right-sized HVAC for NZE and NZE ready homes
May 26, 2016 from 3:00-4:00 pm ET
Are you a planning on building a NZE or NZE ready home? Using right-sized HVAC equipment and ductwork will prevent on-off short-cycling, prolong equipment life, and increase operational efficiencies – not to mention improve occupant comfort. Smaller equipment and ductwork can also allow for greater design flexibility, offering more living space.
Andy Oding, Senior Building Science Associate at Building Knowledge Canada, will address the key points of this standard, including:
- Why it’s important that residential space heating/cooling systems have the appropriate output capacity – especially in low load homes such as NZE homes.
- How to calculate the heat loss/gain of homes for selecting the appropriate output capacity of a space heating/cooling appliance.
|Michelle Côté, Director of Business Development at Dettson Industries will provide examples of their sustainable HVAC solutions designed to maximize residential comfort.|
WEBINAR: 5 NZE BUILDER SUCCESS STORIES
June 9, 2016 from 1:30-3:00 pm ET
Join us for a presentation on the results of the NRCan ecoEII Owens Corning NZE Communities initiative.
This project aimed to demonstrate the feasibility of building NZE housing communities addressing the challenges specific to production housing, and to act as a platform for the broader adoption of NZE homes across Canada.
Owens Corning Canada recruited 5 builders across Canada to participate:
- Mattamy Calgary Ltd. (Alberta) SLIDE DECK
- Reid's Heritage Homes (Ontario) SLIDE DECK
- Minto Communities (Ontario) SLIDE DECK
- Construction Voyer (Quebec) SLIDE DECK
- Provident Developments Inc. (Nova Scotia) SLIDE DECK
Andy Goyda, Market Development Manager at Owens Corning Canada, will provide an overview of the project results, and representatives from each builder will present an overview of their NZE homes. SLIDE DECK
View the slide decks above. The webinar recording can be downloaded here.
GETTING THE WORD OUT
The NZC Management Committee and staff have already been hard at work promoting the Council. If you would like to learn more about the efforts of the Council, please contact us to arrange a presentation. Here are the events that we've already presented at, or are scheduled to present at:
- Sep 19/14 - CHBA-BC Fall Technical Research Committee Meeting, presented by Bob Deeks, NZC Vice Chair
- Oct 29/14 - CHBA Edmonton Breakfast Meeting, presented by Andy Oding, NZC Chair
- Dec 9/14 - CanSIA Solar Canada Conference, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Dec 11/14 - Manitoba Home Builders' Association Breakfast Meeting, presented by Peter Amerongen, NZC Management Committee Member
- Mar 26/15 - CHBA Calgary Builder Breakfast, presented by Ryan Scott, NZC Management Committee Member
- May 19/15 - Canadian Gas Association (CGA) Meeting, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Aug 18/15 - "Marketing Energy Efficiency in Homes and Condos" joint webinar with QUEST, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Aug 20/15 - CZEBS-iiSBE-APEC Net Zero Built Environment 2015 Symposium, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Sep 23/15 - GVHBA Builders Breakfast Series, presented by Arthur Lo, NZC Management Committee Member
- Oct 26/15 - QUEST2015, NZE panel (Jennifer Weatherston from Reid's Heritage Homes, Derek Hickson from Minto Communities, and Andy Goyda from Owens Corning) moderated by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Dec 3/15 - The Buildings Show 2015 / Construct Canada, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
- Dec 8/15 - CANSIA Solar Canada, presented by Sonja Winkelmann, Director, Net Zero Energy Housing, CHBA
APPLY FOR COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP OR SPONSORSHIP
One General Member and four Bronze Sponsor Member seats are available for the current term ending October 31, 2016.
If more seats become available, an invitation to apply will be issued via the Net Zero News.
See the NZC application package below:
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROGRAM STANDARDS SUB-COMMITTEE
The purpose of the Program Standards Sub-Committee (PSC) is to assist the CHBA Net Zero Energy Housing Council (NZC) in an advisory capacity to review, consider and make recommendations on the development and implementation of the NZE Labelling Program.
For more information please see the Terms of Reference.
The inaugural Members of the PSC are:
- Andrew Holley, Levis Street Design Group Ltd (NS)
- Andy Oding, Building Knowledge Canada (ON)
- Arthur Lo, Insightful Healthy Homes (BC)
- Caleb Howden, Denim Homes (NS)
- Derek Satnik, s2e Technologies (ON)
- Gary Hamer, BC Hydro (BC)
- Haitao Yu, Landmark Group of Companies (AB)
- Joe Geluch, Naikoon Contracting Ltd. (BC)
- Kirk Johnson, EnerQuality (ON)
- Lauren Lipka, CHBA NB (NB)
- Rebecca Hagen, The Minto Group (ON)
- Ross Elliott, Homesol Building Solutions (ON)
- NRCan CanmetENERGY - Mark Carver
- NRCan OEE - Leslie-Ann Robertson
- NRC - Heather Knudsen
- CMHC - Thomas Green
- CHBA - Chris McLellan
NET ZERO NEWS
This monthly e-publication provides updates on the efforts of the NZC including announcements of opportunities to get engaged, and will also deliver information on related events, webinars, and news.
- SUBSCRIBE HERE -
We invite CHBA members to submit their NZE related content by emailing us.
|2016 Past Issues|
|2015 Past Issues
|2014 Past Issues
NZE BUILDER BOOT CAMP
Find more information here.
WEBINAR: MARKETING ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN CANADIAN HOMES
Is energy efficiency the new "granite countertop"? Results from a first-ever nationwide market preference study of recent homebuyers shows three energy efficient features among the top four “must haves”. The CHBA study, conducted and produced by Avid Ratings Canada, adds to the growing number of studies, including from TD Bank, that show the increasing marketability of high energy performance in the residential sector. What kind of market opportunities does this present for builders and developers?
View the SLIDE DECK from the webinar jointly hosted by QUEST and the CHBA on August 18th, 2015.