Members' Code of Ethics & Statement of Business Values & Commitments
Code of Ethics
MEMBERS shall comply with applicable building codes of Canada as a minimum standard for construction and shall work toward its improvement in the interests of structural sufficiency, safety, and health.
MEMBERS shall plan their sites and homes to conform to the principles of good community planning and support for the environment.
MEMBERS shall deal justly with their employees, subcontractors, and suppliers of all goods and services.
MEMBERS shall deal honestly and fairly with their customers and stand behind the quality of their work and service commitments.
MEMBERS shall exchange information and experience, and encourage research on materials, technical advancements and building techniques in order to provide the best value for their customers.
MEMBERS shall avoid all conduct or practice detrimental to the house building industry, to the Association, to the good name or reputation of any of its members, or its customers.
MEMBERS shall commit to continuing learning through human resource policies and practices, including employment practices which treat employees as assets.
MEMBERS shall actively promote health and safety principles.
MEMBERS shall treat their competitors, including their property and ideas, with respect.
THESE RESPONSIBILITIES ARE FREELY AND SOLEMNLY ASSUMED AS THEY FORM PART OF AN OBLIGATION AS MEMBERS OF THE CANADIAN HOME BUILDERS’ ASSOCIATION
CHBA Member Builder’s* Statement of Business Values and Commitments
Integrity: We act with consistency, transparency and respect to do what is honest, ethical and trustworthy in all aspects of our company’s operations.
Professionalism: We strive continually to improve our company’s skills and increase our knowledge and capabilities in order to operate our businesses to the highest level of professional performance.
Responsibility: We accept accountability to our customers, employees, colleagues and communities for the results of our decisions and actions.
Community: We recognize that sustaining the social, economic and environmental health of the communities we work in is vital to our business success.
Leadership: We take a leadership role in improving the social, economic and environmental health of our communities through the way we operate our businesses and through the products and services we provide.
We make the following commitments in order to put our values into action:
Our Responsibility to Customers
- We provide to our customers, in a timely and transparent fashion, information that will assist them in making informed and knowledgeable decisions.
- We accept responsibility to our customers for the products and services they receive from us.
Community Involvement and Investment
- We recognize our business has a wide range of impacts on the well-being of our community. Through our commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices, we strive to ensure that these impacts are positive.
- We acknowledge that the development of new communities, and the construction and renovation of homes, has a range of impacts on the environment, both today and in the future. We work with governments and others to develop environmentally responsible housing solutions.
- We are committed to developing communities, and to building and renovating homes, in an environmentally responsible manner through utilizing appropriate technologies, materials, building practices and techniques.
- We pursue continuous improvement and innovation in our processes, practices and products, in order to meet our environmental responsibilities.
Business Practices and Performance
- We operate our business in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and, guided by our values, strive to perform beyond what the law and convention may require.
- We recognize that the building and renovation of homes and the development of communities has a range of impacts on others. By actively engaging in thoughtful and productive relationships within our community, we strive to understand the issues and concerns of others and respond in an open and constructive manner.
- We actively contribute to, and invest in, the well-being of the communities in which we operate our businesses.
- We strive to ensure that all employees, business partners, manufacturers, suppliers, lenders, trade contractors and professionals with which we do business understand our values and commitments.
- We have criteria for selecting suppliers of goods and services which reflect our commitment to social, environmental and human rights principles and values.
Human Resource Development
- We provide employees with the leadership, resources and opportunities to do their best work and achieve their full potential.
- We invest in education and training in order to sustain both our companies and our industry. We choose to do business with trades and suppliers who share in this commitment.
- We support our employees in meeting their responsibilities to family, friends and community.
Workplace Health and Safety
- We fulfill our responsibility for a safe working environment for all workers on our projects, whether these workers are directly employed by us, or by other firms working for us.
- We maintain a clear and effective health and safety program and ensure that all those employed on our worksites are properly trained and supervised in relation to this program.
- We act to achieve worker safety through, and beyond, compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
* Refers to New Home Builder, Renovator and Developer members.